Wednesday, December 12, 2007

YMCA

After I have read the article" Japanese YMCA Cultural IMperialism in Korea and Manchuria after the Russo- Japanese War" by jon Davidann, I just found some interesting points for me as Japaneses I guess. during 1880s or 90s, people thought chiristans were western culture for Japanese and some people did not want it. I think people in Samurai position are the ones who didnt want but according to the article, many who had converted to chiristianity were former samurai.and also on pg 255, " Japanese Chiristians set forth to missonize Korea and Manchuria" this is interesting to me because I have seen so many Korean Christians but not Japanese here.Young Men's Christian Association,YMCA is a nonprofit organization but it was used as a tool of getting control in Korea. For example, Koreans used YMCA to agitate for Korean independent. I guess that is because member of YMCA came from elite yangban.

No comments: