Thursday, December 13, 2007

Korea's Growing Appetite for Fast Foods

The increasing numbers of fast food "kingdoms" within America appear to be a prevalent issue and concern. This major concern appears to have leaked into Korea; fast foods from McDonalds or Burger King are being constantly imported into the contry, with obesity rapidly on the rise. It seems almost ironic that a nation so concerned about reconstructing outer beauty to what is considered "ideal", even through eating disorders, would have problems dealing with the other extreme as well, such as over-eating the suggested amounts of fats contained in fast foods.

When I was browsing through Chosunilbo for any interesting articles I could write about, I found one called Obesity Becomes Huge Problem in Korea (here's the link if anyone is interested: http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200502/200502130020.html). Im Ho-Jun, the author of the article, states, "Some 10 to 15 percent of people under 20 are overweight... 30.6 percent of adults were overweight and 36.2 percent suffered from abdominal obesity." This was slightly shocking to me, because I always had the impression that Korea mainly had a diet concentrated around healthy foods, that also had had numerous healthy benefits. For instance, I remember learning that kimchi helped heart problems concerning cholesterol (through garlic). With this newly learned percentage of obesity, however, my intial impression of a healthy Korea was slightly diminished. When further reading through Im Ho-Jun's article, I also found that Koreans spent an amount equivilent to approximately 1.43 billion USD in the year 2005, solely for medical treatments or problems concerning obesity. The government of Korea has yet to view this increasing rate of obesity as a major concern, however, as they have not yet considered it as any threat to the nation.

In a more recent article by Chosunilbo called No Trans Fat Does Not Mean No Worry, however, it explains that Korea has begun to take action to promote healthier living for the citizens of its nation. Major fast food and bakery companies such as Orion and Crown Bakery had rung in the new year (2007) with a ban on trans fats. What Chosunilbo is concerned about in its article, however, is that saturated fats have now taken the place of trans fat; they argue that these saturated fats can eventually become just as dangerous as trans fats quoting a Dr. Ha Jae-ho that, "Consumers should pay attention to more than just the amount of trans fat in their foods."

I personally believe that there is no possible way to completely eliminate harmful fats from anyone's diets. It is inevitable that even without fast foods or baked goods Korea would on the whole still continue consuming these harmful fats. However, I do agree that action taken against the rise of obesity wouldn't hurt Korea as a nation.

3 comments:

Diane Lee said...

I had no idea there was an obesity problem in Korea. You rarely see fat people on Korean television or hear any news about obese Koreans. The clothes sizes in Korea are even smaller than clothes made in America and Korea's diet is when comapred to America a lot healthier with their portions of rice and other grains. Maybe this report of obesity was exaggerated because no such case for Koreans has ever been reported.

djsong said...

I had no idea there was an obesity problem either. I think that anorexia is much more common in Korea and possibly even promoted in it's culture. Women and men are incredibly thin and I agree that the report may have been exaggerated, because I cannot see how a country with such an image to be stick thin can have so many obese people.
I think it is important to point out that mostly older, adults are overweight as they might not have been as influenced by the need to be thin that I think young adults tend to face.
I would also like to know what they considered "obese". This is really interesting and I think I'm going to go research it a bit. Thanks for the blog+ links!

malika said...

Yeah, I also assumed (incorrectly, I guess) that Koreans wouldn't have an obesity problem because of the relatively healthier food. However, I do remember reading an article about the effect of American fast food kingdoms in Japan... the Japanese have some of the highest life rates but that's because of the extremely healthy food they eat, and the size of the portions of meals. Unfortunately, the younger generations are eating fast food at an increasing rate and thus their own health goes down the drain.

It's funny, though. I know a lot of Asian parents (my parents included) will extol the benefits and health factors of Asian food, but I'm sure none of them know about any obesity problems in Asia.