Friday, December 14, 2007

Asian Remakes

I recently saw that they were remaking the Eye (a Chinese horror film) starring Jessica Alba. This started me on a train of thought of how many Asian remakes we see in the media these days. It all seemed to start with the Ring and then just continued on with the Ring's sequels as well as the Grudge series. A remake of an Asian movie, the Departed (remake of the Chinese Internal Affairs) even won an Academy Award for best film in 2006. They're even remaking Korean movies, with a remake of My Sassy Girl and a Tale of Two Sisters on the way.

The company remaking The Eye seems to have made a career out of remaking Asian films, based on this imdb page of their productions.

What do you all think about these remakes? Personally, I get really annoyed every time I see an Asian remake (especially horror films!) because it is NEVER as good as the original, no matter what. It makes me wonder why people are too lazy to go out and rent the original films, though I realize they must be harder to get ahold of than an American remake. Even so, I have had people tell me that they don't "feel like reading the subtitles" of foreign movies and prefer an American remake to the original. It just puzzles me that Asian media is often criticized for plagiarizing Western media ideas, but when the West does the same thing, no one cares. For instance, I know that Hyori was recently sued for using a melody from a Britney Spears song; however, when an American artist might record a song that sounds very similar to an Asian artist or when a movie is ripped off of an original Asian movie, no one seems to care.

However, I realize that I have a different perspective from most Americans because I've seen both sides of the argument. I've seen American artists sample Indian music or steal ideas from Indian music, but I've also seen EXTREMELY blatant plagarism in Indian movies (Oldboy/Zinda, When Harry Met Sally.../Hum Tum, etc). I just get irritated that a lot of American people will refuse to see the other side and admit that maybe the original Asian movie is better than the American remake.

What are your all thoughts?

No comments: