Thursday, December 13, 2007

Response to 2002 World Cup

The 2002 World Cup was a huge deal and brought together everyone in the country of Korea. Even beyond that, Koreans across the globe were connected through the success of their underdog team. The point was brought up that many Korean females were not involved or knowledgeable about sports till the world cup. I would like to point out that Korean females do know a thing or two about sports, they just happen to be non-contact sports. I do agree that the 2002 World Cup opened the eyes of females in Korea to contact sports because it was a time when Korea unified.
Korean females have been most involved in three sports, speed skating, archery, and golf. I would actually like to talk about golf and explore the topic a bit because it is a huge trend in Korea to play golf, whether you are male or female. Golf is a sport that many Korean Women are seen in, and making quite an impression. A few of the well known players are Sae Ri Pak, Aree Song, Jeong Jang, and of course, Michelle Wei.
Just recently Sae Ri Pak was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame. She was the first to really make a scene on the LPGA and at a very young age. Why do I know all of this? Mainly because my father and every relative I know in Korea wanted me to play golf when I was younger, and I did.
"Pak's accomplishment has greatly encouraged the Korean people, and she serves as a role model for young golfers at home. I hope she will continue to win titles and help elevate the honor of Korea," said Korean President Roh Moo-hyun.
Is this need for honor the key to the golf craze in Korea? There are now 45 Koreans in the LPGA when in 1998 there were just 3 Koreans including Sae Ri Pa. Perhaps golf was a sport that females in Korea could participate in and because of their great success, use it as a sort of feminist tool to push women to do better and better in golf. That may be a stretch, but I believe there must be some reason why golf is so big in Korea, especially for women.
Do you have any ideas on this?

No comments: