Saturday, December 1, 2007

Undercovered History

Does anyone have watched “Silmido”? After watching “Heaven of Solider,” this movie came into my mind. I went to school in Korea before attending Smith. What we learn, and what I hear from the news are quite different from the actual history that I watched in “Silmido.” This movie starts with a scene of criminals getting executed, but the government keeps them alive and put them into secret military mission: Kill Kim Il-Sung. These criminals would be guaranteed new lives if they succeed the mission. So they are being trained intensely in an isolated island called “Silmido.” The government, however, cancels their mission the day before their mission. The government even attempts to kill all the criminals to keep the secret. The criminals find out the government’s plan, and they revolt. At the end, they die, and the government and media report that they were North Korean commandos. They keep this event secrecy. This movie was debuted in 2003, around 30 years after the actual event occurred (1972). Now, the media has more freedom of choosing the different types of movies to create. So those movies can be played. I really think it is possible to have a secret mission such as making nuclear bomb with both sides of Korea together as in “Heaven in Solider.” I also think some historical events we have been taught in our country might not be true. Yi Sun-Sin, our hero, might not be the person we have studied and imagined. He could have been the person we saw in the “Heaven Solider.” How can we be assured about what actually occurred if we were never there. I believe some heroes and historical events can be exaggerated to what we want to believe. Although I am very curious, I don’t believe I should argue about it. These are my thought after watching those movies.

No comments: