Monday, November 12, 2007

I'm A Cyborg, But That's Ok

I recently watched the Korean film "I'm a Cyborg, But That's Ok," a film by popular Korean director Park Chan-Wook and starring the pop star Rain. This movie was interesting because it is more in the vein of artsy directors like Michel Gondry(Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) and Jean-Pierre Jeunet(Amelie), in contrast to historically based movies we have watched. "I'm A Cyborg.." does not really have historical, nationalist, or political themes in it. I believe that the experiemental nature of the film made it less accessible to the Korean population - this is proved by it's relatively poor showing at the Korean box office. While Rain and the director make it a talked-about film in Korea, I wonder whether the movie was more intended for the artsy international audience that our readings have brought up. The movie made the festival rounds and had good critiques, including one in the New York Times.

While the film was not the typical romantic comedy or historically based drama seen in Korea, the inclusion of Rain and the overtones of filial piety made it more characteristic of a Korean product. The main character's problems stem from her sense of duty to her grandmother, which is very reminiscent of traditional Korean values. While other relatives seem to neglect the mentally ill grandmother, the grandaughter is distraught that she cannot help her grandmother. I believe that had this been a movie made in the US, it seems much more likely that the main character would be fixated on a lover or sibling, rather than have that deep sense of connection to a grandparent.
Second, I found Rain's participation in the movie fascinating, because it vears so far from his usual arena. In "Full House", for example, Rain played a pop star, and as is common for singers turned actors, the acting wasn't a great stretch. For "I'm A Cyborg" though, Rain somewhat alienates his audience, because the movie isn't straightforward, and Rain's character is psychologically complex. However, I found it interesting that the movie still featured Rain as an entertainer, because he does sing in one scene (perhaps in a kind of fan service).

Overall, I found "I'm A Cyborg, But That's Ok" to be a great look at what a more experimental Korean film looks like. It doesn't have the characteristics of a blockbuster, and yet shows the talents of a famed director and pop star. I believe it's the kind of movie that is meant for an international audience while at the same time maintaining strong Korean characteristics.

P.S. (The movie is availible on YouTube in clips if anyone's interested)

1 comment:

Christina Park said...

It's interesting that you'd bring this movie up, ZWingate. I've actually watched the movie in Korea, and I remember there being a MAJOR craze for the film (even before it was released). I beleive this is mostly due to the two incredibly famous and popular actors/entertainers: Bi(Rain) and Lim Soo Jung. I believe you're absolutely right about the movie deviating from the cliche romance comedy films that Korea tends to build up around (i.e. the movie called "Beauty and the Beast" about a blind girl and her boyfriend was extremely popular; it concentrated more on the romantic aspects of their relationship, which might have been what Koreans, and mostly girls, were seeking for in the movie). I admit that I definitely wasn't expecting the more artistic values the director put into the film. I remember the end left me puzzled (I thought the concluding scene left the audience dangling a bit) and I was still unclear about a couple points that I believe the director was trying to portray through the movie. I also remember several of my friends were left completely devestated and disappointed in the movie, expecting more from their dream star Rain.
Perhaps you're right; perhaps Korea really isn't ready for these more "artsy" films. But I believe this is due to the fact that Korea tends to follow generally one-pathed trends (i.e. structures of the dramas "Full House" or "Stairway to Heaven"), and the general Korean audience was expecting something specific out of this film. I think your point in your blog definately adds to the list of cultural differences between Korea and the U.S.